Wednesday, 13 July 2016

David Cameron's Strange Resignation

Imagine that on the morning of 24 June, David Cameron had gone in front of the TV cameras and said, " The results for the Advisory referendum are in and we have 52%for leaving and 48% for staying with broad support for leaving in England and Wales, and broad support for staying in London,Northern Ireland and Scotland. I shall of course be asking Parliament to consider these results carefully and my Government will of course need a parliamentary vote to determine our future course of action"

But instead he resigned and created some turmoil, now brought to some temporary close by the choice by Tory MPs of Theresa May to succeed him as Prime Minister. Both he and she were Remainers in the Referendum - the Leavers (Gove, Johnson, Leadsom, Farage ... ) all now out of the picture and all of them having disgraced themselves in one way or another.

Parliament has still not had a say, there is still no BREXIT policy - except insofar as Mrs May has by-passed Parliament and said that she will now lead a Government of (mostly) Remainers  putting themselves forward as eager Leavers (Mr Fallon, "We are all Brexiters now" - I suppose he had the Vicar of Bray in mind).

All very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment